Who is more attractive?

Tuesday 26 October 2010

The bond between a bride and her maid of honour

Three weeks ago today, my dear friends Chris and Faye became Mr and Mrs Dabek. The fifth (and final) of my year of weddings. Call be bias but it was by far the most lavish, glamourous and emotional event. Eighteen months ago people smirked when Faye announced that she was to have a Vegas wedding with many predicting some tacky drive-thru ceremony conducted by Elvis. Well a serving of Humble Pie for them. Everyone from the wedding organisers, Angela and Cabriole, to the Reverend to the make up artist played an important part in making this a day to remember.

The day began with Faye, Mrs Keane and I getting our hair and make up done at this fancy salon at The Wynn. Now Sod's Law would have it that my spots decided to make a united appearance that morning. But thanks to the power of a foundation spray machine, lots of concealer and the skill of the make up artist my face ended up looking flawless. OK so maybe it took three inches of slap to get there. I even wore false eyelashes! The make up artist said I could carry them off and that all I had to do was trust her when she applied the glue and stuck on these things that made my eyes smoky and subtle! Even Faye thought it was just good mascara.

Faye's hair was amazing and it's an understatement to say that she looked like a princess. Her dress with the corset and big pouffed out bottom skirt is beyond words. The eyes did well up as soon as I saw the masterpiece hanging in the bridal changing room.

To be a maid of honour is the ultimate proof in how true and strong a friendship is. My duties on that day most definitely transcended all boundaries, taking the Faye and Debbie friendship to a whole new level. Let me begin with helping her into the dress.

Corsets are not easy things to put on. Being the only person without false nails I volunteered to do up the silk buttons. No easy feat. Poor Faye looked like she could barely breathe! Then came, with the help of Mrs Keane, getting the dress on and attaching it to the corset. Again this was not simple as it had to be facing a specific way. Once that challenge was complete we all looked in the mirror and to me it was perfect. But Faye had an inkling that something wasn't right. Minutes later Mrs Keane figured it out.

You know in Victorian period dramas where the elite ladies have these gorgeous dresses that cinch in at the waist and flares out at the hips? There is a prop for this: a hoop underlayer. Oh yes, I hung the hoop on the back of the door so that the three of us will not forget it - but we did. So after getting Faye into the corset and dress we discovered that we forgot the hoop which had to go on first. Off came the dress and into the hoop. Thankfully the corset got to stay on.

The next major boundary was when Chris's mum presented Faye with these beautiful earrings, a surprise present from the Groom (just when we can't get any more jealous!) and I helped put them on. You can imagine my shock when I dropped the butterfly clasp of the second earring DOWN Faye's corset. Taking the corset off was not an option so fulfilling my all important MOH role, I put my hands up the corset searching for the clasp. It didn't help that Faye and I were laughing that hard. So much so that the clasp moved around to the back. In the end she got married with one unsecured earring. Tip to all future MOHs: unintentionally feeling up your best friend is all part of the job description!

My MOH duties did not stop after the ceremony. I held up her dress at the restaurant, through the hotel and of course the loo breaks. It had to be done. The mission involved me holding the dress and backing into the toilet as Faye followed me in. There are officially no more secrets between Faye and I.

Would I do it all again tomorrow? You can bet on it. Being a maid of honour, Faye's MOH, will remain as one of the best jobs I have ever done. I look forward to the next time I become a Wing Woman to one of my friend's big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment