Who is more attractive?

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Wedding no5: Faye and Chris Dabek - doing it Vegas style!

And so my gal Faye Keane became Mrs Dabek. It was definitely a wedding to remember. From the word go everything went without a hitch. I even made it safely up the aisle in my skyscraper shoes. Though believe me the pain did kick in about ten minutes in!

You should have seen Chris’s face when he saw his beautiful wife-to-be walking up to him. At first he looked nervous but as soon as they made eyes at each other, you could feel the calm wash over the both of them. In that moment everyone could see how in love they are with each other, besotted even.

Though the wedding was small what was really touching was that everyone played a key part. The mums lit the first candles, Mr Dabek did a reading, I was the maid of honour and Mr Keane obviously gave Faye away. It’s typical of Faye and Chris to make sure everyone has a role.

Prior to the ceremony Mrs Keane bet me $5 me that Chris would be the first to cry, thus reducing us all into quivering wrecks. I won because guess who was the first to crack? Mrs Keane herself. Her sobs halfway through set Mrs Dabek off. Unlike Wendie’s wedding, I managed to hold myself together. I welled up at times but it wasn’t until after the ceremony and onto the champagne reception when Faye’s dad came up to me and said, “Debbie thanks for everything,” that pushed me over the edge.

The meal at the steakhouse (in the Wynn) was amazing. I had veal for the first time. (Controversial I know!) We sat outside near the grand waterfall where halfway through the meal a giant green frog appeared on the top to the tune of Louis Armstrong’s What A Wonderful World. Now should any of you plan to visit Vegas one day, do look out for this. To this day I am still baffled as to the reasoning behind this. Maybe it’s just a very clever marketing ploy to get people talking about the Wynn. The Bellagio has its famous fountain display; the Wynn’s attempt at one-upping them is with this giant amphibian.

After dinner, the Newlyweds surprised us with a limo tour along the Strip. Swanky indeed. We even got to see the famous Welcome to Las Vegas sign which I had accepted that I would not see as it was a long way away on foot. I was indeed a very happy lady.

Americans love a good wedding and they are not shy in showing their excitement when they see a bride and groom. Everywhere Faye and Chris went, people applauded, cheered and yelled, ‘Congratulations!’ In one bar, two honeymooners from Alabama even bought them a drink. At the restaurant the applause gradually grew louder as table by table people stopped eating to congratulate them.

Faye and Chris are now back on the Wirral as Mr and Mrs. Their home reception do takes place this weekend at Tranmere Rovers Football Club. It will not rival that memorable day in Vegas but at least this time all family and friends will be present. I of course will be there once again fulfilling my MOH duties…in my pretty but painful skyscraper shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment