Who is more attractive?

Sunday 31 October 2010

The end to the Year of the Wedding

So that's it dear readers. I have attended the five weddings and travelled the three countries... all in one year. I have flown exactly 14,391.53 miles, stayed in more hotels this year than I've done my entire life and, Lord only knows how much ground I've covered via train and car. For me 2010 is no doubt the Year of the Wedding and I have experienced so much joy, laughter and love through being there for my friends on their special day.

Friends who have begun a new chapter as someone's Mrs. Next will be the babies but as to who I think will be the first to changing nappies and enduring sleepless night - that I have no idea. BUT I sure hope by some freak coincidence that the bundles of joy DO NOT appear all at the same time!

And me? As exhausting as it has been, worrying about money and having to cancel plans with other friends at the last confetti minute, I needed this crazy year to gain some much needed perspective. Funnily enough amid all its craziness, two very significant things happened to me this year. Firstly I got to laugh properly again. The last part of 2009 and into the start of this year was neither easy nor fun. The failures and disappointments professionally left me feeling bitter, jaded and disillusioned. I lost faith and hope. But then I got to re-discover one of my first loves: travelling. Getting away from the monotony that is everyday real life meant I was able to experience some valuable me time. It is from this solitude that I found myself smiling and laughing again.

Secondly, I'm writing again. OK so I'm not going to win any Pulitzer prizes with this blog but dear readers through updating you with all my ramblings, I've remembered why I fell in love with this art in the first place. Maintaining a blog is not easy, especially when you're really not in the mood, but it is the continuous requests for updates, acknowledgement and comments that have kept me motivated throughout. So THANK YOU for visiting this page to catch up on my disasters, hopeless celebrity crushes, dress hunts and yes, my running through train stations and airports. I've had one hell of a ride and I sincerely hope you have enjoyed it too.

Who knows when my time will come to star as leading lady in my own big day? Will I ever be able to overcome my issues and pride to one day be able to say: "I have loved another with my heart and soul and for me that has always been enough" (name that film)? Who knows. Come what may I can promise you this: when it's my time I will start a whole new blog and update you on every disaster, hopeless celebrity crushes (every man and woman gets cold feet after all!), dress hunts and yes, no doubt running... though less Julia Roberts in Runaway Bride, more just plain old me trying to be on time.

In the meantime, while my girls are all living happily ever after, this friend/ maid of honour/ writer/ happy-go-lucky single yet fabulous lady is looking forward to a long sleep. Memo to all potential knight in shining whatevers: please do not wake me up as Mama needs her rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment