Who is more attractive?

Thursday 19 August 2010

Magic Fortune will I ever find my one true dream job?

I’ve always wondered what it would be like to see a psychic. Now more so than ever as I am completely lost. Particularly concerning my career – or lack of.

I normally take horoscopes with a pinch of salt. But at Chris and Yen’s wedding when presented with a fortune card (not a cookie which suffice to say was very disappointing) I got rather excited at what prediction it had for me.

Please tell me the answers are on its way, with my dream job in tow. Please!

No. Instead my fortune went something like this:

“Venus has aligned with the stars in your path. Talk to three strangers tonight to make the most of opportunities.”

Romance? You have got to be kidding me. Here I am hoping for some professional enlightenment and all I get is a crappy, generic fortune that encouraged me to talk to strangers.

Oh well, why not? I was at a wedding after all. And who takes fortune cards seriously?

Funnily enough I did get chatting to one man. Believe me don’t get too excited.

He, whose name does not escape me because I never got hold of it in the first place, was some 30-ish Chinese man. Straight away he told me how he used to be a research scientist but moved into accountancy because he wanted job and financial security.

He then asked me what I did. I said I’m a senior journalist. (It sounds more attractive than out-of-work qualified journalist who was made redundant last year, after seeing eight newspapers close down.) He actually gave me the look. The look of I’m Sorry. Normally I’m used to people going wow! Cool job or I’m so jealous. No, Accountant Man’s look was one of major sympathy. Maybe it’s because he has insider knowledge and experience in crunching up the numbers and delivering the verdict back to impressionable CEOs that closing non-profit making publications is the only way to keep the major players happy in the game.

So Accountant Man then launches into a LONG one-way conversation (me – nodding my head at the appropriate moments) about why his new found career is the thing to do. Apparently it requires only common sense, a willingness to take lots of exams and, basic maths knowledge. I was almost sold until I pictured myself sat behind a desk in a small office calculating someone’s taxes until the day I die. Exactly.

What was funny about my interaction with Accountant Man is Mrs Accountant Man turning up with a look of her own. One that read Back Off. She actually wrapper her arm firmly around Mr’s waist while smiling daggers at me. Now had I gone for that third glass of champagne (see previous entry as to why I did not) I would have given my famous ‘seriously?’ look followed by the laugh-snort-cough sound. Girlfriend, I'm not after your man. No tingly feelings or turn of the head to the side for me.

In actual fact what Accountant Man did do was get me thinking long and hard about career choices.

Many a bride and grooms have told me how they knew they found their One. But when it comes to careers and that all important dream job, what are the signs? Butterflies, sweaty palms, racing heartbeat and the works?

While I can’t humour being an accountant, I can picture myself in medicine. Dr Ng.

Having done some research I have calculated that after going back to get A Levels in Chemistry and Biology, then completing either a four, five or six year degree I will graduate when I’m at least 31 – that’s assuming I do it now. After another five years training to become a GP and/or seven to nine to become a hospital consultant, where I will earn an average £120,000, I will be somewhere on the right side of 40. The con in this scenario is going back to full time education, more exams and being the old one amongst the fresh-faced, innocent interns. The pros are the money (did I mention £120,000?), the chance to perform miracles and forevermore induce the look of envy and admiration from strangers who ask what I do for a living.

Right now in my Lost phase where I have yet to find my way back into journalism or something writing-related, I am seriously considering going back to university to study another degree. It doesn’t have to be strictly medicine. Maybe Law? I have nothing to lose, especially now.

I’m just going to throw this out there:

I hereby declare that IF I’ve got the money for the tuition fees and living costs and, that by the time I am 30 and still going nowhere fast professionally, then I will go for it. Enrol into medical school or work towards becoming a barrister/ solicitor! At the very least it will make my parents lives. It will actually be on a par with me bringing home a nice Chinese boy and. Fact.

Thinking about it, on some far-fetched level, the fortune card was sort of right. Talk to a stranger and make the most of it.

Maybe my chance of happily ever after is in the hands of a whole new career change.

No comments:

Post a Comment