Who is more attractive?

Thursday 12 August 2010

My name is Debbie and I am a RomCom addict

Wedding season has truly brought out the romantic in me. As much as I hate to admit it I am now even more of a sucker for a mushy, sickly, predictable romantic comedy.

Case in point 1: I watched a film called Lucky 7 last night on You Tube. Last week when I was at my sister’s I begged her to video plus the film on some Sky Movies Romance channel. I made her promise to save it for when I am next visiting. Last night I was on You Tube looking at Patrick Dempsey videos (leave it!) and hey presto, another likeminded die-hard fan uploaded the whole film and he stars in it! What could I to do?

The film centres on a girl who lives her life based on a timeline her then alive mother created – become a lawyer, fall in love many times before finally finding The One in number seven. By then she would just know that he is It from the fireworks and her hand fitting his perfectly. Admittedly the film is awful, so predictable and bad script. Admittedly, I enjoyed the happy ending. Will I go as far as buy it on DVD? No. Honestly.

Case in point 2: A film I do own is Enchanted. Yes it’s a Disney film and yes it too stars Mr Dempsey. This one is both cartoon and real life. A princess to be who on her way to marrying the prince is pushed down a well by the evil stepmother and enters into the real world – New York. There she meets cynical divorce lawyer (Mr Dempsey) and while she waiting for her prince to come rescue her, turns lawyer’s life upside down with her innocence and hopeless faith in true love and true kiss etc. We all know how this ends. I am not ashamed to admit that since buying the DVD on Monday, I have seen it three times and that my favourite part is the dance scene between lawyer and princess.

As I write this, one thing is very clear: I’m turning into a hopeless romantic.

I can blame wedding fever all I want but deep down I know that I am an eternal sucker for any film that sees two people realising they love each other by the end. I have Two Weeks Notice on both video and DVD.

Yes I still love serious films like Shawshank Redemption, Invictus and Hotel Rwanda but of late I am more drawn to the mushy, sickly, predictable films.

Time to watch Love Actually again methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment