Who is more attractive?

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Stop raining (or worse) on my parade!

Whatever horrific crime I committed in a previous life, payback has chosen this year to punish me ten-fold by doing some serious shitting on my parade. Payback on its own is indeed a bitch but this time it has teamed up with Sod and his Law to really push me into panic mode.

My contract with the bank ends on Friday – yes in two days time. Fair enough I’m a temp so I have the recruitment agency to find me something else. However, I need the something else by next week. For the first time in a very long time I have a plan. A plan that involves budgeting and saving for Las Vegas. If I am out of work at any time, the plan fails. That can’t happen because I need to pay off a little piece of plastic that I have depended on for some time in order to book flights and hotels. Currently time is against me:

2 days to find another job
5 days to Amsterdam
37 days to Vegas

On one hand this is a long overdue wake up call. I can’t be a temp forever and I am worth a hundred times more than what I am earning right now. Admittedly this year I have used the weddings to hide away from the fact that I have long woken up from the dream where I lived happily ever after as a journalist, writing the kind of stories that changes the world for the greater good, employed by a company that sits on excellent morals. Now is the time to take charge of my own destiny, to prove my worth. That being said, it’s been over a year and I’m not exactly batting those job offers away! The weddings however have been the only certain thing in my life this year.

But here’s where Sod’s Law has only gone and decided to wind me up. Why now? Why before the ultimate, crucial wedding this year in Las Vegas? There is absolutely no way I am backing out of my best friend’s wedding. A promise is a promise, money spent is money that cannot be returned.

So now I am desperate. I need to get rich quick. Any ideas? I’m thinking car boot sale, sell an organ (apparently we can live healthily on just one kidney) or, sell my hair (I know of some people who will pay hundreds for my naturally black, shiny, thick locks). Alternatively I could re-open my overdraft. Now of all the ideas this is the one I do NOT want to do because I have been so good this year. In fact paying off my overdraft, closing the damn account has been such a relief and I don’t even miss it. It’s like Walkers Thai Sweet Chilli sensations flavour. If I don’t see I won’t crave. Put them in front of me and you’ll be lucky that I’ll offer you a piece. Thus if I won’t have access to ‘free’ money, I won’t dip into it.

World I am calling out to you. I am not one to beg, my pride has always been too big to show anyone my weaknesses, but now while it is taking a nap I am willing to admit desperation.Someone, somewhere hire me! Make me believe in happily ever after again. Or at least throw me some rope and pull me out of the deep shit I'm currently submerged in.

No comments:

Post a Comment