Who is more attractive?

Monday 20 September 2010

Can YOU watch the love of your life marry someone else?

I randomly came across the music video to Leona Lewis’s song Happy last night I have to admit it almost made me cry.

The video (for those who haven’t seen it check it out here) is set in Cuba and the beginning sees the singer at a wedding, confetti falling around her, and she is well, happy.

Then it rewinds to the moment where she meets and becomes obviously smitten with this handsome man and he appears to feel the same too.

In one shot his hand brushes against her shoulder, in the other they’re gazing into each other’s eyes.

Skip forward to Leona getting ready for a wedding, her mum putting a flower piece into her hair.

Then just about 20 seconds before the end of the video, the groom (said handsome man) walks up to his bride, take her into his arms and pulls her in for a dance. The bride as it turns out is NOT Leona but her friend.

So basically Leona plays the unlucky-in-love gal who watches the man she loves marry someone else. Unrequited Love in its cruellest form.

I guess we’ve all been there in terms of liking someone who doesn’t feel the same way but I do wonder just how many people can do what she did. How many of us can accept a wedding invitation and watch the bride or groom marry someone else knowing that we are in love with one of them?

While it happen in (some) films and TV shows where at the very last minute weddings are stopped because someone decides to take a gamble and declare their love, in real life people are more likely to settle with forever holding their peace. After all it takes courage, bravery and many layers of thick skin to shout out loud marry me instead…in front of two sets of family and friends. But even with all these factors in check, who really wants to be forever known as that person who stopped a wedding?

Having said that stranger things have happened so it would be interesting to see just how many weddings were abruptly stopped because of this reason.

When it comes down to it, if you were invited to the grand wedding of the person you were hopelessly in love with do you a) be the bigger person, attend and try to be happy for the couple or, b) avoid at all costs?

If it were me I would follow Leona’s lead and attend because hey, this is me after all. Even if it killed me inside I would still turn up to send my blessings. At the very least it saves having to explain for the hundredth time why I was a no-show.

No comments:

Post a Comment